Many people are asking how to build an electric car because of the popularity of these cars nowadays. Electric cars are considered more energy-efficient than gasoline-run vehicles. Also, they do not leave harmful carbon footprints to the environment. An electric car does not pollute the environment because it has zero emission. This eco-friendly feature is one of the reasons why more people prefer to use them.
How To Build An Electric Car
An electric car also saves the owner fuel costs. This means additional money for other important expenses. But knowing how to build an electric car demands that the builder knows some knowledge about cars.
Knowing how to build an electric car is not exactly as hard as it may sound. There are certain steps though which needed to learn in order to build it well. The last thing you wanted is a non-functioning car. It is also important to be ready with the necessary tools and requirements to make the building go seamless.
Requirements on how to build an electric car include the following:
1. Work space. Working on how to build an electric car will take some time. You need to allot some space in the house just for the project. This way, it will be easier to monitor your progress and determine what still needs to be done. The work station must be enough to accommodate the car, adequate lighting and safe from rain or snow.
2. Knowledge on cars. A background or previous basic knowledge on vehicles is vital to the success of the project of building an electric car. You must have an idea how a car runs and how the various parts work. If you have no idea about cars, it would be best to research some information online or from car experts before starting the project. Knowing the mechanics behind a car can greatly help during the actual building of an electric car.
3. Donor car. It is also important to choose the car to be converted into an electric car properly. Do not choose outdated vehicles or the new ones because you might have a hard time finding replacement parts when they are damaged. It is also a good idea to use lightweight cars for the project.
Try to find a car with bad engine or no engine at all. This will make the conversion easier. A car with good body and good interior is ideal for the project.
The type of vehicle to use for the conversion will depend largely on the person. A sports utility vehicle, a sedan or a truck are all great for the conversion project. A small sedan is ideal because they are capable of storing the batteries. The vehicle needs to support the added weight of the batteries and motor.
Using donor cars with manual transmission is also more preferable than cars with automatic transmission. Manual transmissions run more efficiently than the automatic ones, hence making them a good fit when you embark on a project on how to build an electric car.
4. Car tools. You cannot begin the task without using the right tools. You might need welding equipment, wiring tools or metals for the job. Be prepared to buy or borrow some of the tools, if needed.
5. Car parts. Of course, you need to have the different car parts ready that can help on how to build an electric car. The necessary car parts include: motor, controller, AC-DC converter, batteries, battery charger and vacuum brake pump.
After you have secured all the requirements, you are now ready to start on how to build an electric car. In order to create an electric car here are some basic steps on how to do it:
1. Begin with the donor car. Once you have chosen the donor car, it is now time to prepare the car for the conversion project. Clean the vehicle. Repainting and reupholstering might be needed to get the desired look. Remove the grease and grime that stuck in the carpet.
2. Choose a drive system and buy the necessary parts. There are a variety of batteries, motors and controllers that can be used on the project on how to build an electric car. Basically there are two types of drive system: 1. electric conversion car kit that requires complete electric drive system and 2. An electric conversion car kit that can be installed together with the current fuel system.
An electric conversion car kit comes with battery, control mechanism and a motor. The battery can be charged using the old fuel-based engine of the car or by plugging it to a wall outlet. The owner must decide which system suits his car best before buying the electric conversion car kit to use.
Before buying the electric conversion car kit, it is important to do some research online. Find out legitimate suppliers of the kit. Also, do comparison shopping so you can get the most reasonably priced supply. Be sure that the supplier is reliable. You do not want to lose your money to online fraud. Read the reviews of past customers before making a decision.
3. Detach the gasoline engine from the car. Rent an engine hoist from car shops. This will support the engine as remove the bolts piece by piece. Disconnect the engine from the transmission. You can sell the disconnected engine or recycle it.
4. Install the electric parts to the car. You will need to do some research on wiring, fabricating and welding. Connect the electric motor to the drive shaft. Then mount the motor. After the motor is mounted, it is time to place the batteries in the car. Wiring of the cables is also needed. You may need to attach a potentiometer, which controls the amount of electricity flowing to the motor, to the gas pedal. This requires some knowledge on how electricity flows. You can also attach an amp meter to the car’s dashboard to help determine if you need to charge the battery.
How To Build An Electric Car – The Conclusion
If you are not confident in your skills, you can refer to the manual in the conversion kit. If not, you can always refer to a car expert. Another option is to visit forums online and ask for help from people who have an idea and experience on how to build an electric car.